Maryland Dog Trainer Speaks About Exercise
By: Maryland Dog Trainer Andrew Fraser
Length of exercise should be around 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on your dogs age, breed and overall health. Always start small and build up over time.
2 types of exercisePhysical – aerobic activity will keep your dogs body healthy
- Walk, Jog, Run
- Fetch, Tug of War
- Agility – A full body workout
- Upstairs / downstairs recalls – This uses a different set of muscles than normal and will wind most dogs after 10 repetitions up and down. You can also through a toy to the top
- Laser Pointer chase – Get a cheap laser pointer and get your dog to chase it’s be moving it around slowly at first and with time increase speed and distance.
Mental – thinking and problem solving will keep your dogs mind healthy and help to prevent unwanted behavior issues
- Kong Wobbles and StarMark Interactive toys using meal times
- Hide and seek with toys, treats
- Obedience Work work on building your distance, duration and distractions
- Learning Tricks
Achieve a balance of the 2 types of exercise and you will have an excellent dog.